Minutes (by Peter) of Saturday, Nov. 6, 2010 meeting.
Present: Debby, Karen, Marlies, Sheila, Maureen, Peter.
- Next event: U. Conn. at Avery Point, Groton, Nov. 11, 2010:
- Place: Academic Building (ACD) rm 206; accross from
- Be there 1/2 hour early; i.e. at 10:30 AM at Finn's
- Karen, Marlies, Dotty, Kit, Jane, Sheila, Peter, and Debby
were planning to be there.
- Question: Will Kit do his how-to a la Dartmouth?
- Karen will to do an intro.
- Songs: Oh'we're a gaggle of grannies; We have just
one world; When we send people off to war; Women's battle
song; When we make peace instead of war. Peter will bring
- Can we make contact with the New London gang for a Xmas song
event like last year's?
- Next meeting: Dec. 4; preceded by peace vigil at 9AM. Discuss
Xmas song program.
- Ari of Islands of LA, who (see this link) is interested in the use of
traffic islands as public space for gathering and expression. As
you may remember he has us listed on his: his web
site. He asked me if I knew anything about the history of
"our" island in Westerly.
This is what we came up with:
The traffic flow was changed a long time ago. Washington Trust
Bank was built 20 years ago and a police kiosk was erected on the
island. It was taken down after a couple of years. A fountain put
in with funds obtained with help of current RI Senate Minority
Leader Dennis L. Algiere. First war protests took on steps of
Post Office. Peace protesters moved to Island and no permit was
obtained. Nobody knew if one is or is not not required.